Followers

Sunday 22 March 2015

Sunny Sunday.

Good afternoon all, and welcome to another new follower....thank you so much for joining us, I do hope you like it here...

I love to share my crafty life (oh and dogs!!!) with you and I am happy to answer any questions and help you if I can....I love to meet fellow crafters and I thoroughly enjoy the many workshops that I run...

Today I thought I would share with you a canvas that I made for the last Clarity show on C&C...

Sorry about the reflection at the top of the photograph, I really must get to grips with some photography techniques...also the canvas would look even better mounted onto a larger white canvas but I didn't have one when I took this picture......( I have rectified that now )

A full range of canvases are available from Clarity....I startedby using the Stencil and dragging some Grunge Paste through...

As soon as this dried It reminded me off a dry stone wall....now I am very familiar with Dry stone walls and my sister and husband have many around their lake district home and Graham has tried to teach dry stone wall building to Karl and me....( we did try...that is all I am going to say!!!!!)

Next came some colour around the edges...I used Distress Ink..

Then it was time for some Black Gesso...

After the gesso , I used my finger and added some gold gilding wax....I do love the smell of this....

When dry I added colour using some bottled Alcohol Inks on a piece of felt...

To add highlights I scratched the White areas using a craft knife...

I then stamped the Bird Row stamp onto card, coloured them in using Spectrum Noir pencils and cut them out individually..

I really do love these little birds...

I think they look right at home on my dry stone wall...

I was out in the garden earlier today and some of the birds were collecting twigs to build their nests....

I also found some of my favourite flowers have popped their heads up above the soil....I love Fritillarias....

If you done have any of these in your garden ...I urge you to get some....they are so delicate....but come up year after year....

Now ....couldn't you just see the Wee Folk Fairies loving these little flowers...

Now their is a thought....

Enjoy your Sunday evening....and see you next week...

Love and hugs

Jo. xxx

 

10 comments:

Marian Dean said...

Interesting technique here, I must get more adventurous! I just love the colours and texture. X

Theresa said...

love your flowers Jo. they are so beautiful. never heard of them though but i will try to get some.
your canvas is great too. need to try some of these techniques, hugs xx

Lynne Bishop said...

Canvas is lovely, was a bit worried when the black went on but all came good.Flowers are great, reckon we could do with a stencil or stamp of them so we can use faeries. xx

Unknown said...

Lovely blog, I could see the wee folk in those Fritillarias. How come you used Gesso and not something else for the black? I love this piece, got so much texture.

Donna Brooks said...

Beautiful canvas love the colours and birds. I love these flowers too have some that come up every year in my garden. One year I want to go and see the meadow near the university in Cambridge that is full of them. XX

Chrissie Roberts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo Rice said...

Thanks for your lovely comment..some crafters use Black Acrylic paint, But I like the way Gesso gives a really good base coat, it covers well, dries really quickly and is an inexpensive option. .also ...it cleans up really well too. Xx

Robonan said...

Oh My fritillaria have been dug up by over zealous husband (maybe ex husband soon) when he transplanted snowdrops!!! Thank you for the pic of yours though. Love the canvas too x

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Really terrific canvas. I can just imagine those pretty birds hopping around on your wall.
I am rubbish at 'arty' stuff like this, so I loved seeing it emerge through all the different stages.
Caroline xxx

Naomi said...

Beautiful canvas Jo. xxx